Course Data project

A JISC funded project aimed at improving course-related data at Sussex University

XCRI-Programme Meeting 7/2/2012

Feb

10

A very useful meeting on Tuesday. A big thanks everyone involved in organizing the meeting, I thought lots of interesting points came out. For those of you that don’t know, several institutions involved in stage 2 of the JISC course data project met in London to discuss issues surrounding the stage 2 implementation. The focus was largely on how institutions with common agendas might help each other by forming groups or networks.

For me, one of the most interesting aspects was the focus that institutions are putting on the whole work-flow aspect of producing the feed. Some institutions were proposing to use the SITS evision ‘tasks’ module to help facilitate this. I wonder if a good content management system could be used to do the same thing.

I was amazed at the number of institutions that were looking at an in house solution and were implementing an in house student records system. A few institutions mentioned the poor results for going to external companies to provide curriculum management systems. This is quite interesting as Sussex is choosing the in house approach for this as well.

I raised the point of what the relationship was between definitions of the data held in the ‘vocabulary’ and that held in the XSD. Personally, I’d feel more comfortable if it was in the XSD as it would be much easier to validate programmatically. I hope my point were taken on board but I still worry that the XSD seems not 100% fixed yet.

Looking forward to the next event.