Reflections and Expectations

It has been a year. I am now sitting in my new room in my new house reflecting on how, exactly a year ago, I had no idea whether I would even enjoy university. The truth is, I have absolutely loved it.

I came to university sceptical; I was dubious that university would be capable of providing me with an experience worth £9,000+ per year, and indeed, whether or not I myself was capable of the commitment and enthusiasm needed to get the most out of the experience. I am very pleased that I have proved my past, doubtful self wrong. My course has provided excitement from the word ‘go’ which subsequently, has provided me with the enthusiasm. I have found getting the balance between my course and everything else difficult, but on reflection I wouldn’t have done anything differently. I have got involved with lots of different societies, several of which are helpful for my course and I have also been able to widen my knowledge by going to talks organised by the university. I feel that I have taken advantage of the fact that first year’s grades aren’t too important in order to engage thoroughly with all university has to offer me.

I am hoping that I will just improve on time management but the academic part of me hopes that this hunger for involvement will cease slightly for my second year, in order to make room for more hours to spend in the library. I think I will try to prioritise my studies this year and therefore change my habits with how I access resources. Now that I have to commute to campus (first years live on campus) by bike my attitude to ebooks might alter!

I really look forward to the coming year and all the plans we have as SAGE students.