Sutori (previously known as HSTRY) is often thought of as a timeline tool, but Sutori ‘stories’ can be much more. With options to embed videos, sound files, create quizzes and add discussion forums it can be used by teachers and learners to create attractive and interactive learning resources.
Here is an extract from a sample ‘story’ showing some of the range of elements. You can see the full story here.
What can I do with Sutori?
Sutori lets you create online ‘stories’. These are collections of material which you can organise in any order you want. You can add:
- ‘Did you know?’ surprising facts
- Multiple choice quizzes
- Matching quizzes
- Forums (if groups used)
- Headings to divide up your ‘story’.
This quick guide shows you how to create a story with Sutori.
Is it free?
There is a free version of Sutori which allows you to create and share stories; print out and embed stories; add collaborators and create up to 2 ‘groups’. Groups can be used to allow people to contribute to discussion in forums on Sutori. If you want to have more groups you will need the paid version ($99 per year at time of writing).
Will it work on my device?
Sutori works on the web and via a Chrome extension. There are currently no mobile apps for Sutori.
Where can I get started with Sutori?
Ideas for using Sutori in learning and teaching
- Create stories with links to resources and quick quizzes to test students’ learning.
- Embed a Sutori story in Study Direct and develop it throughout the module (for help with embedding in Study Direct contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Let students create a Sutori story as a different form of presentation – including quizzes for their peers.
What are the alternatives?
Here are some alternatives to Sutori you may want to look at:
You can find many more free digital tools which can be useful in learning in our A-Z of apps. University of Sussex staff who would like help with using Sutori or to discuss how this or any other digital tools could help in teaching or learning can contact the TEL team.