Optimistic Feeling of a Forthcoming Year

Leaving my home country and arriving in the UK, and later on campus, really made me optimistic about my future –probably because I did not even in my dreams imagine the campus would be so big, actually as big as my home village. Picture all the great things that one could accomplish with so many resources at hand!

My first impression therefore inspired me to start my first year as an undergraduate eager to succeed in all of my tasks as well as being thrilled to meet new people from all over the world. I guess being an international student and a fresher has its own perks.

Being part of a university where approx. 30 % of students are international makes it easier to adjust and start your education. Induction week plays an important role here. Week 1 introduces new students to the new ways of teaching and learning. It’s crucial to get to know the campus and its advantages, including the amazing library and societies.

Since many of us were probably confused about how, what, where and when, the University of Sussex sent induction timetables and several group event invitations to every fresher. I attended the International Students Get-to-know Lunch, where many students from different continents presented themselves and discussed how and why they chose this particular university.

And the parties. Every day of our induction week an energetic party and usually after-party took place, giving us a chance to get to know other students (also second and third years) along with having fun and enjoying the last days before lectures start. I never could have imagined Brighton Pier, nearby beaches and discos being so packed with people! Nevertheless, it was a joyous experience.

As well as the parties, I must not forget the library and IT induction. Firstly, I would like to start with how fortunate it is that the university offers wi-fi all over the campus, which makes eduroam very useful wherever and whenever you are.

The Library truly amazed me. Three floors of books, rooms to study and state of the art computers calmed me about whether I will find my place to study in peace. Silent, quiet and social study rooms give everyone a chance to find their spot. I also give a thumbs up to the library’s eating and drinking policy, since eating next to computers makes keyboards greasy and unpleasant to use.

Induction week ended with a barbecue and fireworks. A full-scale fireworks display was visible all the way to the city centre. Since many of us students were running late we had to admire it from the bus, but we came just in time for the grand finale. Induction week gave me an optimistic feeling about the forthcoming year.