A Year in TEL – 2021
Online Distance Learning
The university Online Distance Learning (ODL) provision has continued to grow this year, now with over 1000 enrolled students across 5 Masters programmes. Over 100 students have graduated on an ODL course. The team have just celebrated their 20th cohort on their longest-running course.
Workshops and Seminars
Technology Enhanced Learning has run 88 events across 2021. We have found our colleagues have had the most interest in the themes below:
- TEL Seminars (see all 20/21 seminars)
Decolonising the Curriculum at Sussex June 2021
Institute-wide approaches to embedding accessibility Dr Kevin Merry, May 2021
- TEL Workshops
Zoom: essentials, breakout rooms and interactive features – January 2021
Zoom: structuring sessions for student engagement -January 2021
How to plan for Autumn term teaching: Canvas, Panopto and Zoom – September 2021
Active Learning Network
Members of the Sussex TEL team co-founded the Active Learning Network. In April 2021 the network held a Global Festival of Active Learning with 316 signups from across world. The network also launched their project to co-author a book, with the hopes of it being published in 2022. The network received the Finalists with Distinction award in the 2021 Global Academic Development Good Practice Awards.
DARE To Transform
DARE to Transform’s Community of Practice has been running since March 2021. In that time, the Community has met six times, presented on thirteen scholarship projects, has attracted almost a hundred members of staff in total.
Looking forward to 2022
Our Technology Enhanced Learning workshops will be running for the rest of the semester 1 assessment period, followed by a new programme of workshops for Semester 2, which are available to book now:
- Setting up Presentations assessments Mon 10th January 10.00am
- Setting up Ask Tutor and School Office assessments Wed 12th January 2.00pm
- An Overview of the e-assessment process at Sussex Thurs 13th January 10.00am
- Marking Canvas Turnitin assignments Mon 17th January 2.00pm
- Marking with Canvas Speedgrader Tues 18th January 10.00am
- Formative assessment options in Canvas Thurs 20th January 10.00am
Semester 2 workshops
- Accessibility – understanding what it means and your role in supporting it
- Collaborative activity to encourage peer learning and communication
- Study Groups to encourage independent study with peers
- Polling, quizzing and interaction to encourage student engagement
- Reflective practice to encourage students’ learning
More training resources and previous workshops are available on the TOLA (Teaching Online Anywhere) site
Technology Enhanced Learning Team wishes everyone a well-deserved happy break and see you in 2022!